Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Power of Language in the Airport

I am at the airport in Pune as I write this. I've been waiting for my plane to Delhi for a long time, because I arrived here three-and-a-half hours early. I've been keeping myself entertained by reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (which is an excellent book) and listening to the funny announcements they make on the PA system.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: “May I have your kind attention please. All guests travelling on Jet Airways flight 9W-364 to Delhi are requested to proceed to Gate 4 for boarding immediately.” There is nothing particularly interesting about this at first, apart from the announcer's accent. When you think about it, though, the choice of words is quite fascinating. Take for example the word “guest” and think of its connotations. This word is a nice word for someone you have invited over to your place. The word guest is also used in the “hospitality industry” (which is a very interesting term by itself). In any case, it implies some sort of hospitality, however superficial, or at the very least, some sort of “care” which usually lasts longer than three hours.

Does any of this happen when you are waiting for a plane, boarding a plane, flying on a plane, or leaving a plane? I would have to say no, and I think most people would agree with me. Then, the word “guest” is used completely out of context. Its use is probably intended to subconsciously make people feel better about the treatment they are receiving.

This is an example modern business practices in work. Although one might not find anything wrong with this, it is a disease. Its intent is to deceive people and as such it is dishonest because it misrepresents reality. “Passenger” would be a much more apt and honest word to use.



***


15 minutes after I wrote this, I heard the most awesome announcement, which I have faithfully written down here: “May I have you attention please. Indian Airways regrets to announce the delay of its flight IC-876 from Delhi because of Jet Airways aircraft on the runway.” This announcement also merits an analysis of modern business practices, with regard to the evasion of blame, but I have no time for that now because my flight has started boarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment